TITLE OF POST:
Band 6/7 depending on experience
HOURS OF EMPLOYMENT :
The practice nurse’s job is to deliver practice nursing care such as supporting patients to recover, monitoring conditions of patients, managing patients with CHD’s, screening and health prevention activities. The practice nurse would work collaboratively with the general practitioner to provide assessment, treatment, education, and care to all kinds of patients, ranging from infants to elderly people.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assessing, planning, developing, implementing and evaluating programs for promoting well-being and health and preventing adverse effects on them.
- Prioritizing health problems and intervening appropriately in order to assist patients in emergency, complex, or urgent situations, including commencement of valuable emergency care.
- Assessing and providing care to patients with uncomplicated wounds.
- Consulting, providing advice, and information about various health conditions or any minor ailments, referring them to other practice team members as necessary.
- Implementing and participating in immunization and vaccination programs for both children and adults.
- Providing information and advising on medication regimens, interactions, and side effects.
- Performing investigatory procedure, minor operations, and assisting senior practitioners in minor-surgery sessions.
- Supporting and advising women regarding family planning needs.
- Implementing and evaluating separate treatment health plans for long-term condition patients.
- Taking urine and blood samples, other swabs and specimens.
- Advising, supporting, and administering vaccinations for traveling patients.
- Conducting initial registration checks.
- Performing routine procedures like eye washing, ear syringing, treating wounds, and applying or removing dressings.
- Providing advice or offering specialist information in areas like blood pressure, heart conditions, giving up smoking, weight control.
- Administering infant vaccinations and injections.
- Offering emergency and first aid treatment, as required.
- Advising patients with respect to their continuing nursing and medical needs.
- Restocking and maintaining consulting and clinical areas.
- Taking accurate and comprehensible notes regarding patient’s consultations and treatments.
- Updating details about patients and their treatments in the clinical computer system and using relevant coding.
- Liaising with other GP’s practice nurses, office and reception staff.
Skills and Specifications
- Awareness of national and local health policy.
- Patients-focused approach in providing care and service.
- Clinical skills like immunization and vaccination, assisting in minor surgery, ear care.
- Able to support patients in changing their lifestyle.
- Able to respond appropriately even in stressful situations.
- Adheres to the health care procedures and policies.
- Ability to work without direct supervision.
Education and Qualifications
- Degree or equivalent in health related field from an accredited institution.
- Training in clinical supervision.
- Relevant nursing training.
- JOB DIMENSIONS
- To manage own clinical workload in general practice responding effectively to patient need and ensuring patient choice and ease of access to services.
- To support other nurses in developing and maintaining clinical skills.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- CLINICAL ROLE:
The post-holder will :
- Work with multi-disciplinary team within the Practice, and across the wider locality team to promote integrated and seamless pathways of care
- Contribute to the practice achieving its quality targets to sustain the high standards of patient care and service delivery
- Participate in identification of community health needs
- PROFESSIONAL ROLE :
The post-holder will :
- Promote evidence-based practice through the use of the latest research-based guidelines and the development of practice-based research.
- Monitor the effectiveness of their own clinical practice through the quality assurance strategies such as the use of audit and peer review
- Maintain their professional registration
- Participate in continuing professional development opportunities to ensure that up-to-date evidence-based knowledge and competence in all aspects of the role is maintained
- Work within the latest NMC Code of Professional Conduct
- Record accurate consultation data in patients records in accordance with the latest NMC guidance and other pertinent standards
- Work collaboratively with colleagues within and external to the practice.
- MANAGERIAL ROLE :
The post-holder will :
- Participate in clinical supervision.
- Encourage and develop teamwork within the practice.
- Participate in multi-disciplinary protocol and Patient Group Directions development
- Identify appropriate opportunities to delegate both clinical and administrative tasks to more junior staff.
- Help the practice operate in a cost-effective manner.
- Participate in practice meetings as required.
- Participate in audits and inspections as appropriate.
- Ensure that all Practice Policy’s are fully implemented.
- HEALTH AND SAFETY/RISK MANAGEMENT
- The post-holder must comply at all times with the Practice’s Health and Safety policies, in particular by following agreed safe working procedures and reporting incidents using the organisations Incident Reporting System.
- The post-holder will comply with the Data Protection Act (1984) and the Access to Health Records Act (1990).
7. EQUALITY AND DIVERSITY
- The post-holder must co-operate with all policies and procedures designed to ensure equality of employment. Co-workers, patients and visitors must be treated equally irrespective of gender, ethnic origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, religion etc.
- RESPECT FOR PATIENT CONFIDENTIALITY
- The post-holder should respect patient confidentiality at all times and not divulge patient information unless sanctioned by the requirements of the role.
- COMMUNICATION & WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- The post-holder will establish and maintain effective communication pathways with the following :
Clinical Nurse Lead
All Nursing Staff
Management and administration staff
Other practice nurses as part of the local practice nurse network.
- SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS
- The post-holder is required to travel independently between practice sites, and to attend meetings etc hosted by other agencies when relevant.
- The post-holder will have contact with body fluids ie, wound exudates; urine etc while in clinical practice.
- REHABILITATION OF OFFENDERS ACT 1994 (optional)
Because of the nature of the work, this post is exempt from the provisions of Section 4(2) of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1994 (Exceptions) Order 1995. Applicants for posts are not entitled to withhold information about convictions which for other purposes are “spent” under the provisions of the Act and in the event of employment any failure to disclose such convictions could result in disciplinary action or dismissal by the Practice. Any information given will be completely confidential and will be considered only in relation to an applicant of a position to which the order applies.
Personal Specification :
Nurse Practitioner : General Practice
· Registered General Nurse (Currently registered with the Nursing & Midwifery Council)
· Recognised NP qualification at minimum of degree level or equivalent
· Independent Nurse Prescriber
· Teaching / Mentoring experience and /or qualification
Original certificates, NMC card &
· Minimum of 5 years post registration experience
· Evidence of appropriate continuing professional development activity to maintain up-to-date knowledge and on-going competence in all aspects of the NP role
· Experience in management long term conditions e.g. asthma, COPD, diabetes, CHD (given the job description – why is this only desirable?)
· Evidence of working autonomously and as part of a team
· Proven ability to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of their own clinical practice
· Previous experience of managing and developing a nursing team (shouldn’t this be an essential, if they are managing a team)
· Interpreting and implementing local and National policy agendas for health
CV & Interview
· Understanding and knowledge of policy developments related to the delivery of primary care services including General Practice, the GMS/PMS contract, Clinical Governance
· Understanding of systems to gain an understanding of the health needs of the Practice population as they relate to primary care
· Understanding of evidence based practice
· Knowledge of national standards that inform practice (eg National Service Frameworks, NICE guidelines etc)
· Understanding of their accountability arising from the NMC Code of Professional Conduct (2004) and medico-legal aspects of the Nurse Practitioner role
· Understanding of equal opportunity and diversity issues
CV & Interview
· Ability to assess and manage patient risk effectively and safely
· Well developed word processing/data collection/IT skills
· Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
· Reflective practitioner
· Time management and ability to prioritise workload
· Able to analyse data and information, drawing out implications for the individual patient/impact on care plan
· Able to establish and maintain effective communication pathways within the organisation, the local PCT and with key external stakeholders
· Experience of use of a medical software package
· Proven record of effective use of networking and influencing skills
· Ability to think strategically
· Experience of presenting information to wider audience
CV & Interview
We currently have a vacancy for a practice nurse. Closing date for applications - Friday 4th May 2018. For further information please contact Janice McGhee, janice.Mcghee@nhs.net or on 01631 710229